BAKGAT Country Star Search Mechanics
The Competition Has 2 Phases:
Phase #1: Online phase – to choose the best male and best female entrant for each month from August 2020 to April 2021 from 90 second videos submitted by contestants.
Phase #2: Live event phase – to choose the overall winners, one male and one female performer, from the 9 male and 9 female monthly finalists.
- Phase #1 runs online on the Bakgat Country Opskop website and social media platforms.
- The entry form, contest criteria and T & C’s are to be found on the BAKGAT PROMOSIES website.
- An entrance fee of R100 per entry is required on submission of each 90 second video entry.
- The contest is open to performers 16 years and older with no professional or music industry affiliations such as recording, publishing and management contracts and/or agreements.
- Contestants have to submit a 90 second (max) video of themselves performing a mainstream country song live and in real time.
- We are looking for new talent to carry the South African mainstream country tradition into the future, so no performances featuring original songs will qualify for this competition.
- Each contestant’s voice, performance and interpretation of the relevant country standard will be judged.
- To expose these qualities, the video performance has to consist of a single voice with a single instrument accompaniment or a capella only. The competition is unfortunately not open to duos, trios or groups.
- Performances featuring band backing, studio programming, voice correction and enhancing will be disqualified – we are looking for authentic singing and performing.
- One male and one female performer will be chosen at the end of each month from the videos received, by a panel of professional judges, to go forward into Phase #2 of the competition.
- Contestants not chosen as monthly winners are allowed to enter again the following month.
- Contestants re-entering have to follow the standard entrance mechanics – pay the entrance fee and submit a fresh video.
- Phase #2 takes place live at a Cape Town venue (to be confirmed).
- Finalists chosen from August 2020 to end-April 2021 (9 male and 9 female) will compete live on stage, for top honours.
- They will be required to perform a mainstream country standard live on the finals stage.
- Only a single instrument accompaniment or acapella performances will be permitted for this performance.
- Song selection criteria remains the same as in phase #1 – contestants have to perform a mainstream country standard.
- Contestants will be required to perform the song in full.
- The identities of the winning couple will only be revealed on the night of the BAKGAT Country Opskop 2021.
- All finals contestants will be required to sign a confidentiality agreement, stating that they will not disclose the names of the winners before the Opskop event.
How To Enter
- Go the the BAKGAT PROMOSIES website.
- Read the competition rules and Terms & Conditions thoroughly.
- Pay the R100 entrance fee.
- Complete the entry form online.
- Have a video recording of yourself made performing 90 seconds of a mainstream country standard. (Simple cell phone videos are permitted).
- Send your 90 second video to firstname.lastname@example.org to complete your entry.
- Ensure your name appears clearly attached to your video.
- Monitor the BAKGAT Promosies Facebook page and website for updates and announcement of monthly finalists.
- Monthly finalists will be announced within seven days of the following month.
Terms & Conditions
- Contestants may enter more than one song per month – each song requires a fresh entry form and the payment of R100 entrance fee.
- Contestants not chosen as monthly finalists may enter the contest again the following month, in which case, the full application process as outlined above has to be completed.